The Office of City Clerk serves as the technical administrative liaison for all official action between the City Council and the Mayor, as provided by State law and City code.
The City Clerk also maintains certain City records and documents, including official minutes, resolutions and ordinances of all Council meetings. Also, files are maintained covering City contracts, agreements, property deeds, city boards and agency appointments, and other City records as required by State Law or City regulations.
Planning & Zoning
The Planning Department staff is responsible for the administration of the City’s Land Use Plan, Zoning Ordinance, and Subdivision Regulations. The Department reviews any new development plans or any proposed change in use throughout the City of Smiths Station.
Smiths Station is an MS4 (Municipal Separate Storm Sewer System) as designated by the Environmental Protection Agency under the Clean Water Act. “Separate storm sewer system” includes ditches, curbs, gutters, storm sewers, and similar means of collecting or conveying runoff that does not connect with a wastewater collection system or treatment plant. As stormwater flows with gravity, it picks up pollutants along the way which end up in our creeks and streams. These local waterways flow directly into our state waterways. Follow the links below to see the city’s latest annual reports as required by the Alabama Department of Environmental Management.
- 2019-2020 Smiths Station Storm Water Management Annual Report
- 2018-2019 Smiths Station Storm Water Management Annual Report
- 2017-2018 Smiths Station Storm Water Management Annual Report
- 2016-2017 Smiths Station Storm Water Management Annual Report
- 2015 Smiths Station Storm Water Management Annual Report
- 2014 Smiths Station Storm Water Management Annual Report
- 2013 Smiths Station Storm Water Management Annual Report
- Alabama Department of Environmental Management Air Land and Water Permit Database
Storm Water Resources
- Alabama Storm Water Association
- Mill Creek Watershed
- Alabama Erosion and Sediment Control Handbook
- Septic System Maintenance
- Erosion and Sediment Control Field Guide
- Stream Buffer Ordinance
- Alabama Low Impact Development Handbook
- Lawn Care and Smart Yards
- Backyard Buffers – Protecting Habitat and Water Quality
- Emerging Contaminants
- Sanitary or Storm Sewer?
- Let’s Look at Sediment!
STEPS TO REDUCE ILLICIT DISCHARGES
Normal pick up days are Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday.
NOTE – Solid Waste pick-up is only available to residents within the City limits.
If your property adjoins a property that is located inside the City and you would like to receive garbage pickup, contact the planning and zoning division at 334-297-8771, ext 6 regarding annexation procedures. There is no charge to annex into the City.
Any company or person conducting business in Smiths Station is required to obtain a City of Smiths Station business license prior to commencing any business activity. City business licenses expire on December 31st of each year and a business license must be renewed for each year that the business is in operation. Please follow the link at the top of the home page to apply for a business license.
Parks and Recreation
Smiths Station Sports Complex – 3160 Lee Road 242, Smiths Station, AL
Youth Sports Leagues:
Smiths Station Youth Baseball
T-Ball & Girls Softball:
Smiths Station Girls Softball
Smiths Station Youth Football
Smiths Station Youth Soccer